When we’re too embarrassed to ask others or looking for a quick answer, we turn to the Google machine more often than not.
The folks From Mars took a deep dive into the most searched for terms based on the topics of sex tips, sexual health, and relationships. I’ll include some stats on some terms, a brief description (when I feel it isn’t obvious) and at the end, we’ll look at the top ten in each of the aforementioned three categories.
How many calories does sex burn?
According to Healthline, “…men burned 101 calories (4.2 calories per minute) on average during the 24-minute session. Women burned 69 calories (3.1 calories per minute).”
How to have sex
In 2020, this was searched the most (per capita) in the state of Utah.
How to put on a condom?
The states that had this query the most were D.C., California, New Jersey, Illinois and New York.
On average, Americans search erectile dysfunction and related words over 260,000 a month.
What is ghosting?
This search is on the rise. In January and February of 2021, there was an 80% increase compared to November and December of 2020.
Meaning: Ending all communication and contact with a person.
This was one of the most searched for keywords on Google. With numbers surging around the first lockdown.
Relationships in D.C. and Utah have the highest rate of searches wondering about gaslighting. Those two states are followed by Colorado, Washington and Oregon.
Meaning: “A form of psychological abuse where a person or group makes someone question their sanity, perception of reality, or memories. People experiencing gaslighting often feel confused, anxious, and unable to trust themselves.” Via: MedicalNewsToday
How to measure penis
Boredom got the best of many men. During the first half of 2020, this search saw a notable uptick.
What is breadcrumbing?
Although it’s at the bottom of the list in the relationships category, it’s also the term I had no idea about.
Meaning: Leading a person on by being flirtatious but inconsistent and non-committal with your intentions.
What are the symptoms of chlamydia?
With over 2 million searches in 2020, this was the most Googled sex question in the US.
Per capita, this was searched for the most by people in D.C., followed by Rhode Island and North Carolina.
Here are the top ten Google sex questions from 2020.
10. What is breadcrumbing – 17,930 searches
9. How to get out of a toxic relationship – 34,110 searches
8. How to make long distance relationship work – 50,950 searches
7. What is an open relationship – 124,450 searches
6. What is ghosting – 136,500 searches
5. Relationship advice – 219,990 searches
4. Friend with benefit meaning – 302,300 searches
3. Relationship goals – 750,480 searches
2. Marriage counselling – 1,164,260 searches
1. What is gaslighting – 1,594,210 searches
10. Is it ok to have sex every day – 2,970 searches
9. How long should I last in bed – 5,450 searches
8. Is squirting normal – 8,450 searches
7. How to have multiple orgasms – 32,350 searches
6. How to be good at sex – 43,850 searches
5. What is sexting – 119,460 searches
4. How many calories does sex burn – 145,470 searches
3. How to increase sperm count – 161,010 searches
2. How to measure penis – 196,970 searches
1. How to have sex – 1,052,550 searches
10. Can you get rid of herpes – 117,950 searches
9. How to get rid of genital warts – 128,620 searches
8. What is the clap – 192,890 searches
7. STI check – 364,190 searches
6. What is an STD – 402,700 searches
5. What are the symptoms of genital herpes – 411,470 searches
4. How to put on a condom – 499,070 searches
3. How long do periods last – 642,410 searches
2. STD testing near me – 1,121,940 searches
1. What are the symptoms of chlamydia – 2,518,100 searches